As we all dig out from the latest round of winter weather there are some important safety messages we would like to relay to all residents of the Town of Suffield.
- Just because the snow has stopped the roads are not all clear. Please allow the members of your Public Works Department time to clear the roads effectively before driving unnecessarily.
- DO NOT CROWD ANY PLOWS. They are working to keep you safe.
- Do not park in the roadway. Our plow operators need a clear path to make one for you.
- Remember that town ordinance requires that all fire hydrants and sidewalks be cleared by the property owner they are in front of.
- Do not run any internal combustion engine (snowblower, generator, car etc.) inside of an enclosed structure or house.
- Make sure that all the vents for your furnace are clear of snow. Many direct vent gas units have exhaust ports that may be buried in snow. This needs to be cleared away.
- The temperatures are going to drop tonight and we will experience bitter wind chills. Please limit outside activity and watch for signs of frostbite.
- While this snow may be done there is a lot of it. Take it easy shoveling and allow breaks for your body to recover if you must shovel.
- Check on your neighbors. Regardless of their age we all need a hand from time to time.
Please stay safe and thank you for helping us help you.
You may view a pdf version of this article here.