The Director of Finance shall be directly responsible to the Board of Finance for such duties as planning, organization, and direction of accounting, and payroll; assisting in administration of the Town’s Insurance, Employee Benefits and Purchasing Programs: assisting in cash management and in the preparation of the operating and capital budgets; responsible to the Board of Selectmen for such other duties as the Board of Selectmen may assign. The Director of Finance, the First Selectman and the Treasurer shall be in frequent contact and shall at all times coordinate their efforts so as to serve the best interest of the Town of Suffield (Suffield Town Charter).
The Town Treasurer is a salaried official elected for a four year term. The Treasurer's office is responsible for paying bills, receiving revenues, payroll, investments, and borrowings. The office keeps the town's financial records in accordance with Federal, State, and Town regulations.
The Budget Process
- December through Mid-January - Requests are sent to the individual departments and commission to prepare and submit their budget request
- Mid January through February - Budgets reviewed by the First Selectman and Director of Finance with the department or commission head
- End of February - First Selectman presents the budget to the Board of Finance
- March through April - Board of Finance meets weekly to review the departmental and commission budget requests
- April - Public Hearing
- May - Town Budget Meeting
- July 1 through June 30 - Fiscal Year
- December 31 - Audit report due to the state
Listing files in 'Board of Finance'